Friday 29 June 2012

"Love Is" Wall Hanging - Donna Salazar Designs

Hi everyone!!

Today I have this sweet wall hanging to share with you all, featuring Donna's fabulous Denim and Canvas from Want 2 Scrap.  I love incorporating textiles into my work, so this was something I was really looking forward to playing with!





I have used the 6x6 chipboard from Want 2 Scrap as a base and decoupaged with torn pieces of Spring in Bloom paper and Crafty Chronicle.  I used the 7x7  Canvas and Denim to create 2 of the hearts and to also create a backing for the whole hanging {to hide the messy backs}, the third heart was made from Donna's Corrugated Card by Zutter.


Using Donna's Wonderful Wings die from Spellbinders and an offcut of Canvas I cut a butterfly from canvas, as well as from some sparkly paper and topped it off with the gorgeous Wonderful Wings Bling from Want 2 Scrap.


Donna's chipboard alphas from GCD Studios were perfect to use as is.  They are compatible with her Donna's Alphas Spellbinders Dies, so you can effortlessly cut patterned paper to match, but I just dabbed a little Patina Mix'd Media Inx onto them with a baby wipe and then dried it with a heat gun.  They 'Dymo' words were simply printed onto plain paper to the perfect size I wanted.


The large bouquet rose was cut using Donna's Grand Peony Die from Spellbinders, I have a tutorial on creating these HERE.  I used 2 different sizes on this hanging, one of them using the largest of the die set, creating a flower as big as my palm... impressive!!

I've added some chippy swirls and a birdcage, painted white and then coated with Fairy Dust Glitter in Mixed Berries, and added some rhinestone bling for more shine!  I tied some bows from gauze and also used gauze to make the hanger and then some pretty lace trim to the bottom of each piece.  Then as a final touch added some sweet beaded drops.

Here's how I created the hearts:

First I created a heart template and traced it onto the canvas, denim and corrugated card, then trimmed them out.


The fabric hearts had the edges frayed, I just use an awl to pull the threads.


To add to the worn look, I cut a slit into the canvas heart and frayed the edges.


I dry brushed both the canvas and denim with a warm white acrylic paint...


then sprayed some Smooch Spritz in Mixed Berries and River Mossy onto them randomly.


While the Smooch and the paint was still wet I next misted some water to soften and blend the colours and allowed the hearts to dry.


For the corrugated heart, after trimming out I tore the top layer from one side to reveal the corrugation and dabbed on some warm white acrylic paint.


And as a bonus... here's how I created the background {which I then went and mostly covered up with hearts LOL}:

Tear up some offcuts of Spring in Bloom White Roses patterned paper and Crafty Chronicle and then piece by piece adhere these to one side of 6x6 Chipboard using your favourite decoupage medium.


 
Until the surface is covered...


Once dried, trim of the salvage from the edges and add a few small dabs of paint across the top...


and then drag the paint across the surface with a scraping tool or old store card. 


This gives a very thin layer of paint, allowing the images to just show through.


Once the paint is dried, add some Wisteria, Peridot and Patina Mix'd Media Inx to the edges with an applicator.


And then blend with a baby wipe to soften... 


and it's ready to be used!!


I hope you found this inspiring!  Very soon this little treasure will be going to live on the other side of the world from me... one of my dearest friends gave me the 'pretty please with sugar on top' line when I showed her, how could I say no!!

Until next time, take care and be true to you!
Mis xo




Products used:

Patterned Paper:
GCD Studios Spring in Bloom - White Roses
GCD Studios Crafty Chronicle Vol. 3

Chipboard:
Want 2 Scrap 6x6 Chipboard
Dusty Attic Birdcage & Mini Scrolls

Bling:
Want 2 Scrap Wonderful Wings Bling
ZVA Creative Crystal Swirl

Ink:
Clearsnap Mix'd Media Inx - Peridot, Patina, Wisteria

Colour:
Clearsnap Smooch Spritz - Mixed Berries, River Mossy

Medium:
Jo Sonya Warm White Acrylic Paint
Inkssentials Glue 'n Seal

Glitter:
Clearsnap Fairy Dust - Mixed Berries

Dies:
Spellbinders - Grand Peony Creations, Rose Creations, Wonderful Wings

Tools/Machines:
Spellbinders Grand Calibur
Clearsnap Stylus & Applicator

Other:
GCD Studios Compatibles Chipboard Alphas - Donna's Alphas
Gauze
Green Tara Lace
7 Gypsies Crystal Ring Dangles
American Crafts POW Glitter Paper

Adhesive:
Helmar Tiger Grip

3 comments:

  1. HI Mistra, this is so beautiful.. and thanks for sharing all the tips on creating it.. I love the effect of the bits of paper in the background... and all the textures in the end result are stunning.. love the blingy butterfly too.. I am sure this wall hanging will be cherished..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful shades of blue. Then, Hey...is that denim? And canvas? And corrugate? Wow...great texture...and the bacground tutorial was wonderful. What a great way to use up scraps!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful layers and colors and details. Thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete